Physician Payment Data is Where the Action Is
Look beyond the EHR incentive program. A national effort to turn CMS's recent release of Medicare physician payment data into useful, actionable data visualizations is the hottest HIT challenge right now.
The days of building electronic medical record software are over.
Oh sure, EHRs will continue to get built, improved, "skinned," perhaps even reimagined.
But with the EHR incentive program beyond its peak, attention is shifting to other important aspects of the healthcare technology spectrum.
Last week in this space, I described how entire communities are engaging in friendly competition to leverage the many digital breadcrumbs that make up today's total population health picture.
The Way to Wellville effort is a five-year marathon. Health Datapalooza's Code-a-Palooza is an opportunity for a variety of stakeholders, healthcare systems included, to step forward and compete in a national one-month sprint to turn CMS's recent burst of Medicare physician payment data into useful, actionable information for patients and payers alike.
While this data gives patients the opportunity to compare and contrast physician-level data on charges, it is a lot of information to sift through.
That is the challenge for Code-a-Palooza entrants. A collaboration among Health Data Consortium, the ONC and CMS, developers are invited to use the newly released data to create a data visualization that improves consumer decision-making when it comes to selecting a physician or procedure, in turn helping to potentially reduce costs and increase value to the patient.
- CMS Mulls Income-Adjusting MA Stars
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Providers Prep for New Payment Models as Population Health Grows
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- 3 Ways to Rev Employee Development Programs
- Former NQF Co-Chair Linked to Conflicts of Interest in Journal Probe
- No Employee Satisfaction, No Patient-Centered Culture
- Transforming Decision Support and Reporting
- 6 Not-So-Good Reasons for Avoiding Population Health
- Aligning Executive Compensation with Provider Mission