Physicians Lead Most, Best ACOs
The transition to value-based healthcare requires strong physician leaders. Physician engagement is the most critical factor for ACO success. But financing and working across the care continuum are challenges for physician-led ACOs.
An accountable care organization (ACO) in Palm Springs, FL, could very well be a model for designing a successful physician-led ACO. This format accounts for a more than half of the ACOs operating now, according to survey results published this month in Health Affairs.
Palm Beach ACO, one of the first to be part of the CMS Medicare Shared Savings Program, was one of 29 ACOs that generated enough savings to merit a bonus payment. It received an $11 million bonus for generating $22 million in Medicare savings. Like most of the other MSSP ACOs that received a bonus payment, Palm Beach ACO is led by physicians. It's also owned and operated by physicians, a characteristic that the Health Affairs article points out is increasingly common.
Study shows most ACOs run by docs
The study authors, who are primarily affiliated with the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, surveyed 173 ACOs, including those established through CMS, Medicaid, or commercial payers, and found that 51% of respondents self-identified as being led by physicians. Thirty-three percent indicated leadership was jointly held by physicians and hospitals. Just 3% said they were hospital-led only; 13% said they were led by another entity. In addition, the survey noted that physicians held the majority of board positions across various ACO types, whether physician or hospital-led.
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- Former NQF Co-Chair Linked to Conflicts of Interest in Journal Probe
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- RN Named Chief Patient Experience Officer
- Medicare Cost, Quality Data Tools Weak, Says GAO
- No Employee Satisfaction, No Patient-Centered Culture
- Six Not-So-Good Reasons for Avoiding Population Health
- In PCMH, the 'P' is Not for 'Physician'
- Population Health Pays Off for NY Collaborative
- How Simple Data Analytics is Driving Physician Incentives