How 5 Top Hospitals Are Observing Nurses Week
See how Cleveland Clinic, Johns Hopkins Hospital and other top hospitals are recognizing nurses this week.
National Nurses Week (May 6-12) is upon us, and hospitals across the country are taking a few days to recognize their biggest—and arguably most important—team of caregivers. I reached out to some of the country's top academic and community hospitals to find out how they were celebrating and recognizing their nurses this week. Here's a look:
Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
Cleveland Clinic's Executive Chief Nursing Officer K. Kelly Hancock, MSN, RN, NE-BC, says via email, "We are proud to honor our 12,000 Cleveland Clinic nurses for making a difference in our patients' lives and helping us deliver on our mission of patients first."
Among the Cleveland Clinic's scheduled events:
- Town Halls held throughout the enterprise by all CNOs, including Hancock at the main campus
- Discounted tickets to the May 6 Cleveland Indians vs. Minnesota Twins game, with a Cleveland Clinic RN throwing out the first pitch
- Awards ceremonies, including the announcement of the 2014 Nursing Excellence Award Winners
- Blessing of the Hands throughout Cleveland Clinic hospitals
- Appreciation breakfasts, luncheons, dinners, and desserts delivered to units on all shifts
- $5 gift cards from Panera Bread to all Cleveland Clinic nurses
- External and internal text-to-win campaigns. Participants can text "Nursesrock" to 28748 for a chance to win an iPad mini and automatically be opted in to receive regular text updates from Cleveland Clinic Nursing.
- Reflexology, aromatherapy, and reiki sessions
- A media campaign using digital billboards, advertorials, and radio commercials to thank nurses
- An opportunity to thank nurses through a personalized e-card via the Cleveland Clinic Nursing Institute website.
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- The Infection-Busting Treatment Payers Don’t Want to Talk About
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement