The Leadership Agenda
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
This article appears in the January/February 2014 issue of HealthLeaders magazine.
Nearly 40 top executives gathered for the HealthLeaders Media CEO Exchange in November at the Boca Beach Club in Boca Raton, Fla. Now in its second year, the CEO Exchange is structured for peer-to-peer sharing in small-group discussions, which are moderated by HealthLeaders editors, so that executives can share their challenges and solutions.
The attendees included leaders of giant, multistate health systems such as Community Health Systems, Inc., which owns, operates, or leases 135 hospitals in 29 states; major city hospitals such as Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical Center in Houston; large medical groups such as St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare in Irvine, Calif.; leading academic medical centers such as Medical University of South Carolina Medical Center (Charleston); and community hospitals such as Beauregard Memorial Hospital in DeRidder, La.
Exchange attendees shape the event agenda through a pre-event survey and conference calls. Three big-picture discussion topics came to the fore for this year's CEO Exchange:
- Evolving Cost-Reduction Strategies
- The Risky New Payer Universe
- Leading Through the Big
These topics mirrored those of the earlier HealthLeaders Media CFO Exchange, which took place in August at the Broadmoor resort in Colorado Springs, Colo. But the CEOs and CFOs took different perspectives on the whole; whereas CFOs sought cost-reduction tips that could be implemented quickly, the CEOs looked for long-term solutions to the cost crunch that is hitting most healthcare organizations.
- Ebola: Health Officials Try to Quell Front Line Fears
- Reducing Readmissions Starts with Better Collaboration
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- Ebola: A New Normal in Dallas
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- Partners HealthCare M&A Deal Under Scrutiny
- 'Overtreatment' Debate Circles Back to Lung Cancer Screening
- Health Literacy Month Gets a Boost from Payers
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- How Educated Nurses Save Money