The Leadership Agenda
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
This article appears in the January/February 2014 issue of HealthLeaders magazine.
Nearly 40 top executives gathered for the HealthLeaders Media CEO Exchange in November at the Boca Beach Club in Boca Raton, Fla. Now in its second year, the CEO Exchange is structured for peer-to-peer sharing in small-group discussions, which are moderated by HealthLeaders editors, so that executives can share their challenges and solutions.
The attendees included leaders of giant, multistate health systems such as Community Health Systems, Inc., which owns, operates, or leases 135 hospitals in 29 states; major city hospitals such as Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical Center in Houston; large medical groups such as St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare in Irvine, Calif.; leading academic medical centers such as Medical University of South Carolina Medical Center (Charleston); and community hospitals such as Beauregard Memorial Hospital in DeRidder, La.
Exchange attendees shape the event agenda through a pre-event survey and conference calls. Three big-picture discussion topics came to the fore for this year's CEO Exchange:
- Evolving Cost-Reduction Strategies
- The Risky New Payer Universe
- Leading Through the Big
These topics mirrored those of the earlier HealthLeaders Media CFO Exchange, which took place in August at the Broadmoor resort in Colorado Springs, Colo. But the CEOs and CFOs took different perspectives on the whole; whereas CFOs sought cost-reduction tips that could be implemented quickly, the CEOs looked for long-term solutions to the cost crunch that is hitting most healthcare organizations.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers