Fast-Growing Hospital Jobs
As healthcare continues to transform, the jobs within hospitals and health systems also continue to change. Recruiters who understand these changes are best equipped to compete to hire workers.
It's no secret that the way we do healthcare in this country is changing, and this means, of course, that the jobs needed to support hospitals and health systems are going to change right along with it.
>>>View The 7 Hottest Jobs in Healthcare
"Things are evolving— the emphasis is moving more to outpatient and community health management," says Marcia Faller, chief clinical officer at San Diego-based AMN Healthcare, which operates several staffing and recruiting lines of business including Merritt Hawkins.
"Over the next five years, we will see many roles move from existing in hospitals go to outpatient or community settings," she said. The entire care delivery model is changing—and the jobs are changing with it." In fact, they're falling into three distinct categories.
1. Nurses and Coders
There are certain kinds of folks you just can't run a hospital without. Nurses are one of them.
By sheer volume alone, the largest demand for a single profession in healthcare is for nurses, which take up nearly half of a hospital's annual salary budget," says Faller.
The demand is even higher for APRNs, says Jill Schwieters, President of Cielo's healthcare division, an arm of the global talent acquisition and management solutions firm. Nurse practitioners, "can function as an extender to physicians," she says, performing many of the same functions of a physician when there isn't one available.
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- Ebola: Health Officials Try to Quell Front Line Fears
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- 'Overtreatment' Debate Circles Back to Lung Cancer Screening
- Reducing Readmissions Starts with Better Collaboration
- Partners HealthCare M&A Deal Under Scrutiny
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients