Fast-Growing Hospital Jobs
As healthcare continues to transform, the jobs within hospitals and health systems also continue to change. Recruiters who understand these changes are best equipped to compete to hire workers.
It's no secret that the way we do healthcare in this country is changing, and this means, of course, that the jobs needed to support hospitals and health systems are going to change right along with it.
>>>View The 7 Hottest Jobs in Healthcare
"Things are evolving— the emphasis is moving more to outpatient and community health management," says Marcia Faller, chief clinical officer at San Diego-based AMN Healthcare, which operates several staffing and recruiting lines of business including Merritt Hawkins.
"Over the next five years, we will see many roles move from existing in hospitals go to outpatient or community settings," she said. The entire care delivery model is changing—and the jobs are changing with it." In fact, they're falling into three distinct categories.
1. Nurses and Coders
There are certain kinds of folks you just can't run a hospital without. Nurses are one of them.
By sheer volume alone, the largest demand for a single profession in healthcare is for nurses, which take up nearly half of a hospital's annual salary budget," says Faller.
The demand is even higher for APRNs, says Jill Schwieters, President of Cielo's healthcare division, an arm of the global talent acquisition and management solutions firm. Nurse practitioners, "can function as an extender to physicians," she says, performing many of the same functions of a physician when there isn't one available.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- 'Early Offer' Malpractice Programs May Spur Reform
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch