How HR Can Be the Healthcare C-Suite's Secret Weapon
HR is traditionally not considered a source of strategic organizational power, but HR teams within hospitals and healthcare systems are uniquely equipped to lead healthcare organizations through this unprecedented time of transition.
Whatever your role in healthcare, you're keenly aware that the industry is experiencing great amounts of change right now. Legislative reforms and new regulations are pushing the business of healthcare forward at an unprecedented pace. In many cases, the industry is moving into uncharted waters, and employees are along for the ride, whether they want to be onboard or not. In such a situation, it is absolutely necessary to have strong leadership.
But who should be leading?
Human resources is uniquely poised for this role, being well-versed in employment law, and attuned both to the organization's staffing needs and the needs of its staff as well. While HR is traditionally not the place organizations turn to for strategic ideas, HR teams within hospitals and healthcare systems are uniquely equipped to lead and to influence other leaders through the difficult transitions the industry is currently facing.
Not Just Paper Pushers
Long gone are the days when HR staff simply administered the hiring process, worked to get payroll turned in on time, arbitrated employee disputes, and made sure the cafeteria was a pleasant place to eat lunch. Since the early 00's, however, HR's job throughout many different industries has been moving toward a more consultative role.
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians
- CMS Offers Some ACOs $114M for 'Upfront' Costs
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- Ebola: Second TX Nurse Diagnosed After Improper Protective Gear Application