MetroHealth Revs Its Population Health Engine
As the healthcare industry makes the move toward population health management, providers are finding innovative ways to positively affect the health status of their communities—and lower costs in the process.
If the people of Cleveland can't get to health plan enrollment information, it will come to them.
MetroHealth System, a 731-bed healthcare organization based in Cleveland, OH, recently launched its Enrollment Outreach RV in the hopes of doing just that. The RV is staffed by financial representatives certified by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and will help people learn about the health plan options available to them. Counselors will also assist with enrolling people in Medicare, Medicaid and other programs, if they meet eligibility requirements.
Senior vice president and chief financial officer Craig Richmond says that by getting out into the community, rather than waiting for residents to come to MetroHealth, the organization can have a bigger impact.
"We know the health insurance enrollment process is complex and confusing. It doesn't matter if you're an individual who has had insurance for years or if you don't have insurance today," he says. "The enrollment RV is about leading the way to a healthier community. One way we can help our community become healthier is first by making it easier for people to access coverage by making it more convenient and offering help in the enrollment process."
"Instead of making people come to where the bricks and mortar are we felt what we needed to do as part of our mission of making a healthier community was to be out where residents live. A lot of people are still not aware of the different types of insurance programs that they might be eligible for, and we are continuing to educate people about getting enrolled in the appropriate insurance product."
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- The Infection-Busting Treatment Payers Don’t Want to Talk About
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition