3. Prepare for Penalties Now
Although many questions remain about how Medicare’s readmission penalties will play out, including expected readmission rates per hospital and how penalties will be levied in a bundled payment program, there are still clear actions all health care organizations can and should take immediately, including the following:
- Know your readmission metrics including original discharge disposition and origin of readmission
- Calculate readmission rates by condition, physician performance and post acute care facility
- Regularly share readmission data with key stakeholders, including physicians, senior executives and case management
- Identify opportunities based on patient demographics and common readmissions
- Screen and target patients based on risk assessments
- Compare disease-specific outcome measures to national and local competitor rates.
Neal Gold, MD, is Director of Sg2.