HHS also announced $10 million in additional funding for six communities ? all of which were part of the original 44 Communities Putting Prevention to Work communities - to provide mentoring to less-experienced communities based on their previous success in specific policy strategies. Funding for the “Community Mentoring” initiative comes from the stimulus package.
The awards are as follows:
- $3 million to Alabama Department of Health: Mobile County, AL, for tobacco prevention
- $2.3 million to Arkansas Department of Health: City of North Little Rock, AR, for obesity prevention; and Independence County, AR, for obesity prevention
- $5.8 million to Children’s Memorial Hospital/City of Chicago, IL, for obesity prevention
- $2.35 million to DeKalb County Board of Health, GA, for obesity prevention
- $3.7 million to North Carolina Division of Public Health: Appalachian District Health Department, NC, for obesity prevention; and Pitt County, NC, for obesity prevention
- $4.85 million to Pinellas County Health Department, FL, for obesity prevention
- $3.6 million to Santa Clara County Public Health Department, CA, for obesity prevention
- $3.8 million to Southern Nevada Health District, NV, for obesity prevention
- $1.6 million to South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control for obesity prevention
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.